20070130

A Remembered Pause in Time

This is how I remember a story from 35 years ago in the church where I surrendered to full-time ministry:

Dan, a really enjoyable guy (I liked him a lot), came late into the Wednesday evening teachers’ meeting. His entrance was an enthusiastic one. Reverend Barber paused in amusement for the interruption as Dan blew down the aisle to a center seat on the front row. With enthusiasm, he thrust the theater seat down and sat. Only the seat bottom retracted and he sat on the floor with just his elbows and the top of his wavy blond hair showing above the seat back. The Sunday School's finest roared with love and laughter. But just as quickly, Dan rebounded and on second try, landed safely in his seat unfazed and poised for the meeting to continue. I loved being where I was that evening.