20071201

Bonding a Bit with Boomer

I don't very often get to see just-turned five year old grandson, Little Jonathan (Boomer, I call him), so bonding doesn't get renewed enough. On a recent visit with family we went to a nearby park after lunch where Boomer and I set out for a walk together. As we walked he chattered and I picked with him a little bit. When we came up on a shelter I whispered in a mock panic

"Did you see that?"

"Did I see what, Granddaddy?" he asked wide-eyed

"There is something up there in those rafters," I said. "I'm afraid to look! Can you go look to see what it is?"

He took about a half a step to peek and said, "No, I don’t see anything."

"Look again," I said, "It’s going like this..." and I put my thumbs in my ears, wiggled my fingers, and shook my head with my tongue hanging out.

He peeked again and said, "I don’t see anything going..." and he put his thumbs in his ears, wiggled his little fingers, and shook his head with his tongue hanging out. We carried on like that most of the day.

Later his dad was taking him down to the dock on the lake. Boomer turned to me like a little grownup person and said, "Granddaddy, would you like to join us?"