20080320

Entertaining the Neighbors

This time of year, landscapes start coming to life and require a lot of attention. I really enjoy general yard work, but don't really always know what I am doing to get involved with too much more. Sometimes I take risks when I should call a professional. I remember a fast growing leyland cypress years ago in front of our house on a cul-de-sac. When it got to be about 20 (?) feet high and was beginning to block the entrance into the garage, I tried to cut it back. I started out with a step ladder and fell off twice, once into the tree and another time into a flower bed. I then tried leaning a straight ladder against the tree. That worked okay until I got to the top when the tree began to sway. I felt like I was in a boat. Some neighbors were watching, but I couldn't tell if they were worried or just being entertained.

Years ago while serving a church in Florida, I saw a bicycle at a yard sale in the neighborhood. It had skinny racing tires on it, not at all like the regular tires on my bike decades ago when I was a kid. But I didn't think the tires would make any difference (They did!), or I wouldn't have taken a test ride at just that time. I wobbled down the sidewalk out of control for about 50 feet going "wup, wup, wup" before falling off in front of neighbors coming out to say hello.

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 8C20
gracepointamerica.org