20081220

Contentment: A Good Place to Be

An old tire guy in a small town store once told me that, if I ever bought Michelin tires, I would never want any other. He was right. I thought of my contentment again recently on a ministry trip while riding down the road on his tires.

Contentment is a good place to be. Wife, Carole, and I absolutely do not have much at all. But it is a good place to be when you don't want anything you don't have. If I had money for personal items, I don't really know of a pressing need I could spend it on. Anyway, if what we have is clean, safe, and comfortable, who could want more?

Contentment is wanting nothing, also owing nothing (which is the meaning of the Bible word "peace"). We drive old cars, 15 and 22 years old, a Buick and a Toyota (grandma and grandpa, we call them) which we paid cash for. Both have low miles, are well-maintained and clean, and ride and drive wonderfully, thank you tire guy very much. Actually, I don't remember enjoying anything very long for which I went into debt, or getting tired of anything God provided for.

Contentment is also living in the place where God leads. We left the big house with three floors and noisy, wide-open areas for a small farm house with rooms and doors and on a country road with family who are neighbors. How good is that!

Also, I have a wife who likes to cook and bake, thinks I'm okay, and tells me I'm her best friend. Home is a good place to be content.

In 2002, Carole and I founded GracePoint through which we continue to provide counseling ministry to hurting people. Also, Carole directs a program with The Salvation Army which is helping over four thousands families this year have a nice Christmas.

Life is meaningful. We are in a fine place.

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 8L20