20091221

Celebrating the Last Day of the Long Night

For 20 years, December 21 has been my favorite day of the year, and the one I celebrate most. It is in competition with Thanksgiving, Christmas, July 4, and even Easter, but wins out easily over those days.

December 21 is Carole's birthday. It is also Winter solstice, the day when the sun seems to reverse its course to end the increase of long nights. How appropriate that Carole would bring much sunshine into my life. On our first date I told her that I had quit the ministry. She said, "No, you can't do that!" It communicated to me that someone might need me. I went home, prayed for three days, then reenlisted.

"The woman reflects the image of God in man (her husband)." - 1 Corinthians 11:7 (GracePoint paraphrase)

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 9L21
www.gracepointcounseling.org