20100928

Torn by Three Calls: To Travel, Transition, or Continue

Retire from ministry, buy an RV, and tour the country is what my human nature sometimes calls me to do. Why not! I am in good recovery from my addictive needs to be a hero or champion for Christ. And God has met sufficiently my temperament support needs for information, affection, and decision-making so that I am being established continually and increasingly in health and happiness and confidence of well-being and self-worth.

But there is also a part of me that wants to transition on to Heaven to the experience I am anticipating there. I have had a little taste of that already, you know, and found it to be good.

But I am mostly called by the heart of Christ within me to continue serving the redemptive needs of hurting people, especially those who have been failed by the resources God ordained in the home and church to serve them.

So I stay the course each day to pursue God’s provisions for my life which enable me for the work he has given me to do in service to others.

“When Jesus saw the great multitude, he was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.” – Matthew 14:14

“I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live. Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain here so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith.” – Philippians 1:23-25

Don Loy Whisnant/The Grace Perspective 10I28