20160215

Set Back Pressing to Perform

Several weeks ago (January 14), I experienced a sudden onset of vertigo-type symptoms (severe dizziness, nausea, and weakness). I recovered in about 18 hours. About a day later, I experienced the same symptoms, but recovered in about 10 hours. After about a day, the symptoms returned with force. I vomited for four hours and could not stand up. When Carole returned home from work she found me slumped over in the bathroom. She helped me crawl to the shower, and then called EMS. I was in Cone Hospital for two weeks.

As I understand it now, my problem may have begun ten months earlier in March on a visit to Gold’s Gym. I had a great 2014 conditioning wise, so wanted 2015 to be even better, which was unrealistic given my age. At the end of an hour long run on the treadmill at a 6 mph pace, I experienced a sudden weakness. I staggered over to a bench to recover. After about 10 minutes I was able to get to the van and drive home.

Doctors say my conditioning saved me from a much worse experience, also that I will be able to work and run again, but a full recovery may take several months. We’ll see.

In the meantime, I will continue to develop OISGC and hope to continue postings on the website and sending emails.

Throughout 2015 I continued my exercise program logging about 1200 fitness miles, although my running times were about 25% slower. I was also strong physically (muscularly) to keep up with mowing and landscaping and even helping with yard work for two of my elderly neighbors.

However, after the March episode, I noticed an irregular heart beat which turned out to be Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib), a genetic, age-related development, worsened, I think, by my attempt to better my running times (a performance issue) – which resulted during this last episode several weeks ago in a blood clot and injury to the part of my brain that controls balance.

DonLoy Whisnant/Journey Notes 16B15