20080512

Absolutely 85% Lazy and Lying Like a Rug

When I was in the seventh grade, my class was asked to write a story. I found one in a "Old West" comic book and copied it. As I did, I knew that I had the ability to produce maybe 85% the same quality of creativity, content, grammar, punctuation, etc. produced by the author. But I was being lazy, also dishonest. I turned the plagiarized story in. The next day, the teacher and principal asked to see me in the hallway. They asked if I had written the story. I said absolutely. They said it was professional. I said thank you. But they knew I was lying like a rug. Looking back, I am horrified and embarrassed.

Of course, we may make a statement with no real recall where we first heard or learned it. But if we know exactly who authored what we are saying or writing
and do not give credit, it is plagiarism (stealing).

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 8E12
gracepointamerica.org