20080726

Facing the Disappointment of Aging - Alone and in Denial

This is to report a heart-breaking experience. On Friday night’s weekend trip to visit family, I packed out quick and light, forgetting essential items including my hair brush and maybe another item or two. Looking a fright the next morning at Chick-fil-a, the order taker gave me a 10% senior discount that I had not asked for. When I told wife, Carole, she laughed and I mourned. Leaving from breakfast, I found a Wal-Green where I bought a new hair brush, gingko, saw palmetto, and St. John’s Wort. Going out the door, the checkout clerk said “Have a nice day.” I turned back with sad eyes to tell her that, if I did, it would need to improve. She looked hurt for me and said she was very sorry and asked if things were not going well. I told her it was not and shared with her the disappointment of my earlier experience. She burst out with a laugh, my embarrassed wife rolled her eyes and shook her head, and I went home to shave and comb my hair.

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 8G26
gracepointamerica.org