20100401

R.J. Barber, Jr.

Today, Tabernacle Time, “the nation’s oldest daily radio program” celebrate its 78th anniversary.  

As a young minister, I had the opportunity to accompany Brother Bob to a luncheon with a group of preachers at a hotel restaurant. I have two standout memories of that meeting. The first was the response those ministers had to Brother Bob. When he spoke they listened. Through the years, I have often thought of the words said about Jesus, "No one ever spoke like this man."

But I also remember walking with him toward the entrance of the hotel when a young woman came toward us dressed for the pool. Without performance or comment, Brother Bob quietly turned his head to look away, setting for me, intended or not, a life-long example. He was always consistent to be who he was - a man of integrity.

It was said about a past well-known preacher that the explanation for his many years of integrity was that God had placed a hedge around him. But more than a hedge around Brother Bob, I believe he was filled within to "the measure of the fullness of Christ" who makes men holy (Ephesians 3:19; 4:13).

Don Loy Whisnant/Journey Notes 10D01