20060601

George and Me

Once I needed some work done and a friend was eager to do it because he wanted to help.

"But this work needs to be done professionally," I explained.

"I know," George said, "I can do that."

"But this is not what you do," I persisted.

"I know," he said, "but I'm good at it."

"Okay," I said, giving in, and I showed him what I needed.

The work he did was terrible. But he didn't think so. And I didn't tell him.

I remembered George recently when I read that I'm among the millions who love to write, but also among the 99 percent who are not very good at it. Still, I insist on writing because someone somewhere is hurting, maybe discouraged or in despair, who needs a message of hope from one who's been there and who cares.

And I think, "I can do that!"

Don Loy Whisnant/The Grace Perspective 0G27