20070124

The World According to Wesley

During weekend visit, six-year-old grandson Wesley wanted to know if saying the Lord's prayer in vain was bad. I said it was. He also wanted to know who Martin Lover King was because his teacher said he was the reason the children would not be returning to school on Monday.

That evening, Wesley asked Grandmother Carole to play chess with him.

"How do you know how to play chess?" she asked.

"I just do," Wesley answered.

"But how?" she asked.

"I just do," he repeated with wide eyes and a big grin.

"You just do?"

"Yeah, I just do."

"Wow!" grandmother said.

"Because my brother taught me," Wesley added matter-of-factly.

That evening, daughter Susie said she found Wesley on his bed looking sad.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" she asked stroking his face.

"I'm afraid you are going to leave me," he said. "You're 31 and almost a hundred."

At the end of our visit, Wesley folded his hands under his chin to pray and said, "God, you’re my favorite."