20070220

The Gospel According to Wesley

On last visit, grandson Wesley showed me the pictures in his new Bible. He showed me Jesus and his disciples in the boat tossed on the stormy sea.

"He looks afraid," I said of one disciple hanging on to the side of the boat.

"Yeah!" Wesley laughed.

"Is he afraid?" I asked pointing to another disciple bouncing around in the boat.

"Yeah, he's afraid," Wesley answered.

"What about him?" I asked pointing to another fearful looking fellow.

"Yeah, he's afraid."

"What about him?" I asked pointing to Jesus sitting calmly with his eyes closed.

"No, he's not afraid," Wes answered.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because he's Jesus," Wesley answered looking up at me.

The next picture was of Jesus standing with his arms lifted before him.

"What is Jesus doing?" I asked Wes.

"He's talking to the people," he answered.

"What's he saying?" I asked.

"He's saying, 'I am here!'" Wesley answered.